City Advice offers help with looming welfare changes

City Advice is offering support to City people who face welfare changes this spring. The changes, including Unviersal Credit and Pension Credit, are set to impact millions of people across the UK.
Woman standing in front of a banner that says 'we can help' speaking to a member of the public

City Advice is the only service commissioned by the City of London to help residents, workers and students with queries and help them find out what they are entitled to.

Advice is free and confidential.

Imminent welfare changes

Universal Credit: some families with more than two children will be able to make claims for Universal Credit, and work allowances will increase for people with children or people with limited capability for work.

Pension Credit: people of Pension Credit age can receive help if they are responsible for a dependent child or children but from 1 May, couples where one partner is aged above Pension Credit age and the other is aged under Pension Credit age, will no longer be able to make a new claim for Pension Credit. Instead they will have to claim Universal Credit.

National Minimum Wage: from April, the National Minimum Wage will increase by 4.9%. Make sure you’re getting paid what you should be. If you’re not, City Advice can help you to understand your rights at work.

If you live, work or study in the City and need welfare advice,  call the advice line on 020 7392 2919, email or visit their website.

Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information