What is Choose and Book/e-Referral
The NHS Choose and Book system is an electronic service in place for when you and your GP agree you require medical attention from a hospital or clinic. Based on your medical need, and personal preferences, you can then pick a hospital, date, and time that are all suitable to you, all through the NHS e-Referral service.
How to book an appointment
You can book an appointment one of two ways:
- Your GP can book the appointment on the NHS e-Referral website while you are meeting with them, then and there, if you are already sure which hospital you wish to book.
- You can book the appointment at home on the NHS e-Referral website if you need more time to determine which hospital is right for you.
What you will need to book an appointment on the e-Referral website
You will need two things, both provided by your GP:
- a booking reference code
- a password
How to change or cancel an appointment
You can change or cancel your appointment three ways:
- You can do so on the NHS e-Referral website with your reference code and password.
- You can call the NHS e-Referral Service line on 0345 608 8888 (Open Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm, and on weekends and bank holidays from 8am to 4pm.
- You can also call the hospital at which you have an appointment directly if you are having difficulty with the previous two options.
If someone is making the appointments for you, they follow the same procedure.
All the personal information that is sent to the hospital through the e-Referral system is secure, and only those at your GP office and the hospital to which you are referred will be accessing it. Only those authorised to view your information will have access to it.
To book an appointment now, visit the NHS website at https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospitals/book-an-appointment/
List of services offered on the Choose and Book website:
Heart failure services- Assessment of breathlessness, chest pain
Gall Bladder removal